- Become a Member
- Start a Chapter
- For Senior Institutions
- Powered by Phi Theta Kappa
Campaigning for International Office
At every Annual Convention, chapter voting delegates elect five new International Officers: International President, Division I Vice President, Division II Vice President, Division III Vice President and Division IV Vice President.
International Officer responsibilities include presiding at the Annual Convention and the Honors Institute, promoting Phi Theta Kappa programs by delivering speeches and workshops at regional meetings and communicating with the chapters located in the International Officer's division. Find out more about the Society's four divisions.
Frequently Asked Questions
A Phi Theta Kappa member may be eligible if he/she has a cumulative 3.5 grade point average on a scale of 4.0 and is EXCLUSIVELY enrolled in an associate degree program at a two-year college.
Submit a request using the Candidate Packet Request Form or by emailing Dawneen Banks. Please include your name, complete mailing address, email address, daytime telephone number, chapter, college, and the office you plan to seek. Candidate Applications are available beginning in October.
All completed Candidate Applications must be RECEIVED by 5:00 pm on Wednesday, March 5, 2014.
Pre-Convention campaigning is discouraged by Phi Theta Kappa Headquarters to help keep campaign spending to a minimum and to prevent Society constituents from being inundated with campaign messages prior to the Convention. While the Internet makes it impossible to enforce a ban on pre-Convention campaigning, please note that Society constituents are generally NOT appreciative of campaigning prior to the Annual Convention.
It is not a Headquarters requirement that each candidate has a campaign manager; however, if one is appointed, he/she must be a provisional or active member of Phi Theta Kappa (currently enrolled in a two-year college). An alumni member or former International Officer may not serve in this leadership position. However, it is acceptable for alumni and former International Officers to support the candidate as a member of the campaign team.
Is International Office for you?
Only five members each year are elected at the Annual Convention to serve as International Officers - the highest position of student leadership in Phi Theta Kappa! It is an awesome responsibility that comes with awesome benefits.
What Do International Officers Do?
The major responsibilities of International Officers include:
- Presiding at the Annual Convention and Honors Institute.
- Giving speeches and workshops at regional meetings promoting Phi Theta Kappa's programs.
- Writing articles for Society communications.
- Participating in their local chapter activities.
- Setting goals for their term in office.
What Are the Rewards of Serving?
Phi Theta Kappa Headquarters provides International Officers with the following benefits:
- A life-changing leadership experience that develops public speaking, goal setting and organizational skills.
- Travel/accommodation expenses for all Headquarters-approved travel to regional conferences, Honors Institute, Annual Convention and other conferences.
- A $700 stipend each semester to help cover personal officer-related expenses (clothes, drycleaning, childcare while traveling, etc.).
- An Apple® iPad.
- A $2,000 scholarship and the International Officer pearl-accented lapel pin upon successful completion of term in office.