Scholarship Program Background
Phi Theta Kappa is proud to partner with Woodward Hines Education Foundation Get2College to assist high school students and their families with navigating the complex financial aid process by supporting their FAFSA completion efforts. Financial aid is one of the barriers for college access and completion for underserved students. Completion of the FAFSA has strong correlation to college access. In addition, completion of the FAFSA by priority deadlines links low income students to financial resources. The goal of the Get2College Corps completion program is to increase FAFSA completion statewide and to increase FAFSA completion by the March 31 priority deadline for the MS HELP grant, Mississippi’s only need-based financial aid.
Scholarship Award and Eligibility Requirements:
Get2College will provide intern scholarships of $5,000 each for 19 Phi Theta Kappa members from 13 community colleges in Mississippi. Scholars may utilize these funds to complete an associate degree at a college or transfer to a four-year college. The eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Nominee must be enrolled at least part-time (6 semester hours) consecutively in both Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 semesters at the community college.
- Nominee must be an active Phi Theta Kappa member with a minimum age of 18.
- Interns are required to work two (2) FAFSA completion events each week during both the Fall 2018 and the Spring 2019 semesters at a location selected by Get2College. Interns must be able to work 4 consecutive hours, 2 days per week at each event.
- Interns must have valid driver’s license and provide their own transportation to and from FAFSA seminars and are required to provide documentation of automobile insurance upon selection.
- Nominees must attend one of the following Mississippi community colleges: Hinds Community College, Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, Northwest Mississippi Community College, Holmes Community College, Pearl River Community College, East Central Community College, Itawamba Community College, Southwest Community College, Copiah Lincoln Community College, Northeast Mississippi Community College, East Mississippi Community College, Jones County Junior College and Coahoma Community College.
- Signed Confidentiality and Release agreement
- Letter of recommendation from PTK Advisor or College Administrator
- Copy of Class schedule for Fall 2018
- Copy of valid driver’s license and insurance card
CONFIDENTIALITY AND RELEASE AGREEMENT (PDF)