Phi Theta Kappa’s 2014-2015 International Officers have been elected by Chapter Voting Delegates attending NerdNation 2014. The winning candidates were announced during the Hallmark Awards Gala on Saturday, April 26, during NerdNation 2014 in Orlando, Florida.
Members of the 2014-2015 International Officer Team are:
- International President: Ebonee Carpenter, Alpha Lambda Alpha Chapter, Hillsborough Community College, Florida
- Division I Vice President: Megan A. Giles, Alpha Nu Omega Chapter, Harrisburg Area Community College, Pennsylvania
- Division II Vice President: Jesus Manuel Tovar, Omega Gamma Chapter, El Paso Community College, Texas
- Division III Vice President: Trevor Mileur, Upsilon Mu Chapter, Illinois Central College, Illinois
- Division IV Vice President: Ivette Piña, Alpha Eta Delta Chapter, South Mountain Community College, Arizona
This year, 27 Phi Theta Kappa members campaigned for International Office during NerdNation 2014. Attendees were able to visit with the candidates during Political Rallies, watch videos of a caucus with Phi Theta Kappa Executive Director and CEO Dr. Rod Risley, and read essays addressing the 2014/2015 Honors Study Topic, Frontiers and the Spirit of Exploration.
For the first time, International Officers were elected through online polling.
The 10 candidate finalists were announced during the Second General Session on Friday, April 25, and presented speeches on the Honors Study Topic during that session as well. Each of the 10 finalists will receive a $500 scholarship.
Serving as an International Officer is the pinnacle of student leadership within Phi Theta Kappa. Phi Theta Kappa Headquarters provides International Officers with the following benefits:
- A life-changing leadership experience that develops public speaking, goal setting and organizational skills;
- Travel and accommodation expenses for all Headquarters-approved travel to regional conferences, Honors Institute, Annual Convention and other conferences;
- A $700 stipend each semester to help cover personal officer-related expenses;
- An Apple iPad;
- A $2,000 scholarship and the International Officer pearl-accented lapel pin upon successful completion of term in office.
International Officers serve one-year terms, and one officer is elected to a one-year term as the Student Representative to the Phi Theta Kappa Board of Directors.
The International President may be a member of any active chapter, and the duties of the President include presiding at NerdNation and Honors Institute, making NerdNation committee appointments, signing all new chapter charters and representing Phi Theta Kappa at regional meetings and educational conferences.
The International Vice Presidents maintain regular correspondence with chapters in their respective divisions, represent the Society at regional meetings and educational conferences, and preside at NerdNation and Honors Institute