Curious about the college admissions process, particularly in a pandemic? PTK’s Associate Vice President of Program Implementation Jennifer Stanford recently spoke with Ron Filipowicz, our Associate Director of College and Transfer Relations with 20 years of experience in college admissions, about the steps you need to take and what you can expect in the months ahead.
Watch the video below, or check out the highlights:
• If you’re preparing to transfer, you need to be in contact with the admissions professionals at the colleges you’re considering. Utilize PTK Connect to find colleges and the right contacts. Remember: it’s their job to help you transfer.
• Since college visits are off the table for the next few months at least, ask college reps about virtual tours. And, be sure to sign up for our Virtual College Fairs, happening May 26, June 2, and June 16. About 20 colleges participated in the first one. Watch for registration info on our Facebook page.
• As you look for transfer-friendly institutions, as yourself these questions: How responsive is the college? Does their recruitment info speak to transfer students as well? Are their transfer requirements clear? Are there transfer groups you can join? How personal is the college making this process for you, and how specific is its information for you as a transfer?
• Remember that you’re an active participant in this, too. If you aren’t getting what you need, don’t hesitate to ask for it.
• A college that can readily tell you how much it’ll cost to attend is an indication that they’re thinking about how they can make things work for transfer students. Complete the FAFSA as soon as possible, or update it if your situation has changed given the pandemic.
• Flexibility and communication with representatives at the college will be vital in the months ahead. The earlier you can start the process, the better, and that includes starting PTK’s Transfer Edge course.