When you join Phi Theta Kappa, you’re joining a network of more than 3.5 million members around the world.
You can be confident in your choice to become a member — the American Association of Community Colleges has named Phi Theta Kappa the official honor society for two-year colleges. We are the only such honor society with this distinction.
We have no recurring fees or annual dues; simply pay the one-time membership fee, and you can access your PTK benefits for life.
- Phi Theta Kappa Golden Key Membership Pin
- Phi Theta Kappa Membership Certificate
- Recognition during chapter induction ceremony
- Opportunity to wear Phi Theta Kappa graduation regalia*
- Official Phi Theta Kappa seal placed on your college diploma*
- Notation of membership on your college transcript*
- Press release announcing your academic achievement
- Letters of recommendation citing your membership
* Contingent on college policy
- Up to $90 million in scholarships to help you complete your associate, bachelor’s, even master’s degrees
- Access to $46 million in transfer scholarships offered by nearly 800 four-year colleges and universities across the country
- Awards specifically for career-bound students, including some field-specific opportunities that cover the cost of certification exam fees
- Leadership and service experiences that will boost your resume, making you more competitive for both PTK and non-PTK scholarships
- Professional skills employers seek through our exclusive online Competitive Edge program
- Navigate the job market with our one-of-a-kind PTK EDGE for Employment training course
- Request personalized letters of recommendation for job applications
- Use PTK Connect to search for four-year colleges and universities that are transfer friendly and see the scholarships they offer community college students — including those exclusively for PTK members
- Take the trickiness out of transferring and get advice from admissions pros through our exclusive PTK EDGE for Transfer online course
- Free access to our custom, nationally recognized Leadership Development Studies curriculum
- Develop your own personal leadership philosophy inspired by classic leaders from the Humanities and today’s top thinkers
- No textbook required — we use open source materials, so our curriculum is accessible to all
- Practice your skills through leadership roles within your chapter, in service projects, and on campus
Ready to Join?
Here's what you need to know.
To be eligible for membership, you must:
- Be enrolled in an institution that has a Phi Theta Kappa chapter
- Have completed at least 12 hours of coursework toward an associate or bachelor’s degree or at least 6 hours of coursework toward a certificate of 1 year
- Generally, have a cumulative 3.5 grade point average*
If you think you may be eligible for membership but haven’t received an invitation, talk with the advisor of your college’s chapter (typically a college faculty or staff member). Find your local advisor.
*A chapter may raise eligibility standards, as long as they are in accordance with the Society’s Constitution.