Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society (PTK) has published Change Makers: Phi Theta Kappa Journal of Student Leadership, the first journal showcasing leadership among community college students. View the 2022 issue here.
Change Makers features 16 projects that high-achieving students planned and implemented under the direction of their college administrators to improve the collegiate community and campus environment. The projects covered a range of topics, including “Improving Distance Education Student Success with Peer Mentoring” and “Building a Simpler College Transition for Students with Learning Differences.” These projects represent the top submissions from the over 400 College Project submissions from chapters all over the world.
“We all know the key to success in college is driven by student engagement,” PTK President and CEO Dr. Lynn Tincher-Ladner said. “These 16 projects are the very best examples of how students can work with their college leadership to affect change on their campuses and in their communities. We are proud to showcase their good and important work.”
The work represented in Change Makers is part of PTK’s College Project program, which encourages students to work with their college administrators to develop leadership- and service-based projects that support the mission of their colleges and generate positive changes on their campuses. The projects highlight PTK’s commitment to cultivating and acknowledging student excellence and scholastic success.
“This journal celebrates the leadership of community college students and the extraordinary impact they can have on their colleges,” said Change Makers editor Jennifer Stanford, who also serves as PTK’s Associate Vice President of Program Implementation. “Their success lies in collaborating with college administrators to help them provide practical solutions to pressing problems on their campuses.”
Phi Theta Kappa chapters from the following colleges are featured in the 2022 issue of Change Makers:
- Butler Community College, Kansas
- Collin College, Texas
- Madison Area Technical College, Wisconsin
- Passaic County Community College, New Jersey
- National Park College, Arkansas
- Western Iowa Tech Community College, Iowa
- Community College of Rhode Island, Rhode Island
- Northwest-Shoals Community College, Muscle Shoals Campus and Phil Campbell Campus, Alabama
- Saddleback College, California
- Austin Community College, Texas
- Northeast State Community College, Tennessee
- John A. Logan College, Illinois
- Polk State College, Winter Haven Campus, Florida
- Onondaga Community College, New York
- Holmes Community College, Ridgeland Campus, Mississippi
- Tyler Junior College, Texas
Phi Theta Kappa is the premier honor society recognizing the academic achievement of students at associate degree-granting colleges and helping them to grow as scholars and leaders. The Society is made up of more than 3.8 million members and nearly 1,300 chapters in 11 nations. Learn more at ptk.org.