Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society (PTK) has published Change Makers: Phi Theta Kappa Journal of Student Leadership, the first journal showcasing leadership among community college students. View the 2023 issue here.
Change Makers features 17 projects that high-achieving students planned and implemented under the direction of their college administrators to improve the collegiate community and campus environment. The projects covered a range of topics, including “CCsmart— Community College is for Everyone” and “Supporting and Promoting the Campus Food Pantry.” These projects represent the top submissions from 420 College Project submissions from chapters all over the world.
“Student success is driven by their engagement on campus,” PTK President and CEO Dr. Lynn Tincher-Ladner said. “These 17 projects are the very best examples of how students can engage college leadership to create change on their campuses and in their communities. We are proud to share the work they have accomplished this year.”
The work represented in Change Makers is part of PTK’s College Project program, which encourages students to work with their college administrators to develop leadership- and service-based projects that support the mission of their colleges and generate positive changes on their campuses. The projects highlight PTK’s commitment to cultivating and acknowledging student excellence and scholastic success.
“Whether by pinpointing obstacles to college enrollment or implementing tangible measures to enhance students’ sense of belonging, these College Projects illuminate the profound mission of our community colleges and the individuals who diligently uphold this mission every single day,” said Change Makers editor and Senior Director of Student Leadership Jennifer Stanford.
Phi Theta Kappa chapters from the following colleges are featured in the 2023 issue of Change Makers:
- Western Iowa Tech Community College, Iowa
- Bergen Community College, New Jersey
- York Technical College, South Carolina
- Community College of Baltimore County, Dundalk Campus, Maryland
- Normandale Community College, Minnesota
- Honolulu Community College, Hawaii
- Carl Sandburg College, Illinois
- Louisiana State University— Eunice, Louisiana
- Massasoit Community College, Massachusetts
- Calhoun Community College, Alabama
- Citrus College, California
- Lone Star College— Cyfair, Texas
- Cañada College, California
- Horry-Georgetown Technical College, South Carolina
- Motlow State Community College, Tennessee
- Pearl River Community College— Poplarville, Mississippi
- Lehigh Carbon Community College, Pennsylvania
Phi Theta Kappa is the premier honor society recognizing the academic achievement of students at associate degree-granting colleges and helping them to grow as scholars and leaders. The Society is made up of more than 3.8 million members and nearly 1,300 chapters in 11 nations. Learn more at ptk.org.