- Become a Member
- Start a Chapter
- For Senior Institutions
- Powered by Phi Theta Kappa
Hites Transfer Scholarship
The purpose of the Hites Transfer Scholarship is to support the outstanding academic achievement of Phi Theta Kappa members. Students enrolled in community colleges who demonstrate high academic achievement and desire to transfer to a regionally accredited baccalaureate degree-granting senior institution are eligible to apply.
Up to ten Hites Transfer Scholarship recipients will be named. Every year, a total of $75,000 in scholarships will be awarded, with each scholar receiving an award in the amount of $7,500. To be eligible to apply, a student must be a member of Phi Theta Kappa in good standing and intend to transfer to a senior institution in the fall. To apply, submit a completed Fall Common Application form online no later than December 2, 2013 at 5:00 pm, CST.
- Students must post a minimum of a 3.50 cumulative grade point average out of a possible 4.0 on all college-level coursework in the past five years (include all transcripts, fall 2007-present). GPA is evaluated at the time of application, and no courses can be marked as incomplete. Hites scholarship recipients must maintain a minimum of a 3.0 GPA while attending the senior institution in order to receive remaining disbursements.
- Students must have completed a minimum of 50 semester credits (or its equivalent) at the time of transfer to a senior institution. These credits must be college-level credits and cannot include remedial or developmental coursework (courses designed to enable learners to remedy a lack of knowledge or correct a skill deficiency; e.g. MTH 099 – Pre Algebra).
- The student must be enrolled at a community college through December 2013.
- Students must enroll at a senior institution for the fall 2014 semester in a minimum of 12 semester credits (full-time status), and remain at full-time status while requesting scholarship disbursements for following semesters/quarters.
- The student's record must be free from suspension, probation or other disciplinary action.
- The student's record must be free from any criminal conduct, or if a convicted felon, must have completed all conditions of sentencing, including probation.
- The student must be a member of Phi Theta Kappa to apply.
Completed applications should be submitted online by December 2, 2013 at 5:00 pm, CST. Independent judges will review applications and determine the Hites Transfer Scholarship recipients. Hites Scholars are selected based on outstanding academic achievement, engagement in college and community activities and leadership accomplishments. Award winners will be notified in spring 2014.
The $7,500 scholarship will be disbursed in four equal payments of $1,875 per semester. Students must be enrolled full time at the senior institution. If the student attends an institution that operates on other than a semester basis, the equivalent institutional definitions will prevail.
The first payment of $1,875 will be disbursed once the student provides documentation of full-time enrollment at a regionally accredited senior institution and submits a final copy of official transcripts from the community college.
After the first payment, remaining payments will be disbursed once the student 1) provides documentation of continued full-time enrollment at a regionally accredited senior institution and 2) has successfully maintained a minimum cumulative GPA requirement. Scholars must maintain a 2.75 cumulative grade point average out of a possible 4.0 during the first semester of the first year and a 3.00 cumulative grade point average during each of the following semesters. Any course for which a grade of "Incomplete" that is recorded must be completed before any disbursements can be made. If the student attends an institution that operates on other than a semester basis or other than a 4.0 system, the equivalent institutional definitions will prevail.
Full details are provided with winner notification materials.
Anastasiya "Stacy" Bagrova
College of Lake County
Minneapolis Community College
State Fair Community College
Cedar Valley College
Pima Community College
Miami Dade College
Palm Beach State College
West Palm Beach, Florida
Denice Grace Sy
Colby Community College
For more information about the Hites Transfer Scholarship Program, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 601.987.5741.